Suggestions for a distributed DNS zone hosting solution I'm designing

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Mar 8 12:52:57 UTC 2018

Latitude <arlendelcastillo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must deploy a DNS system with the following requirements:
> - single master server, multiple slave servers
> - minimal time for name resolving for Americas, Europe and Asia

Best way to achieve this is with anycast, which can be pretty
time-consuming to set up - try searching for Nat Morris's presentation
"anycast on a shoestring" which he gave at several NOG meetings.
The advantage of anycast (as opposed to having NS records in lots of
locations) is that you are depending less on resolvers to work out for
themselves which of your servers is fastest.

> - up to millions records in a domain zone

The biggest zone on my servers is an RPZ blocklist with 7 million records.
It's about half a GB and takes nearly 30s to load. Be warned :-)

> - changes propagate in real time (master -> slaves), 2 sec max delay
> - automatic slave data re-syncing on master link restore after disconnect

IXFR+NOTIFY will achieve this, without much effort, tho you may need to be
careful if your xfer distribution topology is at all complicated.

Recovery from outages depends on either the zone's SOA refresh interval,
or the next NOTIFY if the update rate is faster.

As Mukund said, nsupdate :-)

> 1. How can I examine DNS resolution times using this platform (or other
> platforms to compare with) in different geographic areas of the world
> without first deploying it?

There are some distributed measurement platforms such as RIPE ATLAS.
(I can't think of any others off the top of my head.)

Tony.
Dogger, Fisher, German Bight: Cyclonic 5 to 7, decreasing 3 or 4. Slight,
occasionally moderate. Occasional sleet. Good occasionally poor.