CNAME at apex, was Re: Issue running "dig txt rs.dns-oarc.net" on 9.12

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Mar 10 08:08:07 UTC 2018

On 09.03.18 15:23, Tony Finch wrote:
>I just got a problem report from a user who has a few personal domains
>with CNAME at apex that used to work (or at least appeared to work) but
>no longer do.
>
>I've said that the domains are misconfigured, but since this is a
>relatively widespread misconfiguration, I think it's likely to cause
>more complaints. Tiresome.

it's the very common result of misconfiguration that something sometimes
does not work, while sometimes it does.

I usually advise people to fix things inctead of complaining that something
"misconfigured doesn't work sometimes" - that is the definition of
misconfiguration, isn't it?

especially DNS, with caching, TTLs and DNSSEC - there's not enough room for
making every possible mistake and expecting it to work.