Help wanted: Linking to libbind9 on Ubuntu Linux

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Mar 21 00:13:26 UTC 2018

In message <alpine.DEB.2.11.1803202345150.32746 at grey.csi.cam.ac.uk>,
Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

>BIND9 was a new codebase with very different internal library APIs, and an
>ambition to completely revamp the libc -> resolver interface - this is
>what the lwresd stuff was about. But no unix adopted this new design into
>its libc, so the ambition withered.
>
>So the name remained the same but the codebases are very different.

Thank you Tony.  It does make a bit more sense now.  But you know,
this all kind-of reminds me of that old saying... The wonderful
thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose
from. :-)

(In this case, this is nobody's fault, of course.  This is just what
happens when you develope some good code and put it out there for
people to use.  One day you wake up and decide to do a big re-write,
and some subset of all of your fun-loving freeloading users will
start to grumble that "You are changing the API!!")