Help wanted: Linking to libbind9 on Ubuntu Linux

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Mar 21 17:55:06 UTC 2018

In message <20180321055215.jm3ybhkz4vqgskl4 at mycre.ws>,
Robert Edmonds <edmonds at mycre.ws> wrote:

>{... long explanation of why things are as they are, snipped...}

Thanks for all this Robert.  I guess it all makes sense.  I just
loath complexity.  But sometimes it is unavoidable.

>If you are parsing packets and chasing compression pointers, there are
>other DNS resolver libraries commonly available in packaged format on
>Linux systems that are probably more suitable than libresolv (for
>instance, https://www.nlnetlabs.nl/projects/ldns/), but I hesitate to
>make such a recommendation on an ISC mailing list :-)

Well, again, I just had some pre-existing code (of my own) that I
was just trying to get built & linked on Linux.  Linking against
libresolve provided the missing externals (e.g. res_send) so I'm
already a happy camper.  Does this ldns thing provide all of the
same interfaces, and even if it does, what does it bring to the
party that I won't be getting from libresolv?

(I'm just trying to figure out if it is even worth persuing, given
that my needs are modest, and that performance doesn't really seem
to even be an issue for this particular hunk of code.)