Re: baby steps...

Adam Hardy adam.hardy at cyberspaceroad.com
Thu Mar 22 14:53:45 UTC 2018

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 01:37 GMT, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
 > > I set up my SOHO server to be a router/gateway to the net, firewall, DHCP server, DNS server and backup server for my lan.
> >
> > I set up bind9 and isc-dhcp to support DDNS, but I am struggling to get hostname resolution working on the  server for the lan clients.
> >
> > The server has two NICs - one for lan on 192.168.0.3, and one that obtains its public IP address via pppoe from the broadband provider (which shouldn't be serving DNS outwards but needs configuring not to).
>
> options {
> 	listen-on { 198.158/16; 127.0.0.1; };
> 	listen-on-v6 { <internal address range>; ::1; };
> };

So that will tell bind to serve 127.0.0.1, but don't I need to configure linux to go to 127.0.0.1 for DNS, since at the moment it isn't, according to resolv.conf, it's going to the OpenDNS servers:

adam at gondor:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 81.139.56.100
nameserver 81.139.57.100
domain localdomain
search localdomain
adam at gondor:~$

and that is generated by pppd when it connects.  I'm guessing now but presumably I have to tell pppd to add 127.0.0.1 to the other nameservers - the server wants to see the lan as well as the outside world.

Regards
Adam