suffix translation

Joel Linn jl at conductive.de
Wed Nov 28 12:55:01 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I plan to change the old.local suffix of an AD Domain (I know shame...)
to int.new.com.
Since it is not possible to change all references from
someservice.old.local to someservice.int.new.com at once,
someservice.old.local needs to stay resolvable.
I played with the idea to have some sort of proxy DNS that translates
the suffix.

The main DNS (int.new.com) would forward all *.old.local requests to
this proxy DNS (bind).
The proxy DNS would either resolve those requests recursively by
replacing the suffix old.local with int.new.com and contacting the main
DNS,
or generate a CNAME on the fly "someservice.old.local. IN CNAME
someservice.int.new.com." for every request it gets.

This way I could make a non disruptive migration and could fix systems
over time.
Does this sound like a good idea and is this even possible?

Thank you,
Joel