dig @ipv6-address

Christian Weiske cweiske at cweiske.de
Thu Nov 29 17:44:12 UTC 2018

Hello Timothe,

> > I only get an error when running dig:
> >
> >> $ dig @2a01:488:66:1000:53a9:2dde:0:1 cweiske.de
> >> couldn't get address for '2a01:488:66:1000:53a:53': not found
>
> This looks like a typo. And the error doesn't match the command given.
>
> I suspect that your actual 'dig' command was 'dig
> @2a01:488:66:1000:53a:53 cweiske.de', which will reproduce the error.
>
> '2a01:488:66:1000:53a:53' is not an IPv6 address.  You are missing
> a :: or a couple of words.  (There should be 8 16-bit words delimited
> by ':', or a single '::' ellipsis to represent a run of zeroes.)

You are right, this was no full IPv6 address.

I'm sorry for the noise, but I didn't see the difference in the two IP
addresses. Otherwise I would not have subscribed to this list and
written my lenghty mail.

I scrolled back my terminal and now found where I got that partial
address from: The output of "netstat -tulpen". The listening address is
shortened there, which I did not know before:

> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
> udp6       0      0 2a01:488:66:1000:53a:53 :::*

From there I copied it and tried to "dig @" my domain, which failed as
I wrote.

Why there were different IPs in the command and the output of my
first example .. I have no idea. I somehow mixed up my notices.

Sorry again.

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-=≡ Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 ≡=-