BIND and UDP tuning

Shaun bind-users at shat.net
Mon Oct 1 18:15:53 UTC 2018

Hi Alex,

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 12:51:46 -0400
Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe I said as many as 500 qps, but I believe that's wrong. It's
> more like a sustained 200 q/s.

One other thing you might double check is whether or not any consumer
equipment (cable modem, router) has a firewall setting that could be
interfering.

My newest router came with a built-in DDOS protection feature, which
caused me some difficulty with UDP applications until I disabled it. The
default threshold for UDP was something like 200 or 300 pps. The manual
isn't clear on how the "protection" works, but I assume it starts
dropping packets on the floor when the threshold is exceeded. I turned
off that feature and the problem went away.

Apologies if you've already looked into this; long thread and I'm
jumping in late.

-s