Which timeouts are used by BIND when resolving recursive queries?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sun Oct 7 16:25:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM Alberto Colosi <alcol at hotmail.com> wrote:

> RFC say all
>
> read RFC
>

> BIND is a DNS system not an alien so follow RFC

No, BIND is an **implementation** of DNS software.

There is much in the RFCs that is subject to interpretation, or not
necessarily well defined. Things like preferred timeouts fall into this
category.

This answer is almost as helpful as Alberto's, but as far as I know, these
timeouts are not well defined, other than in the BIND source.

Here is some of what you are looking for:
http://users.isc.org/~each/doxygen/bind9/resolver_8c-source.html#l00143
and
http://users.isc.org/~each/doxygen/bind9/resolver_8c-source.html#l00178
and
http://users.isc.org/~each/doxygen/bind9/resolver_8c-source.html#l02083

and some of the defaults:
https://github.com/isc-projects/bind9/blob/fa03f941027cdcccc060613f773e63701b5baa77/bin/named/config.c

The ARM ("https://www.isc.org/downloads/bind/doc/bind-9-10/" ) has some
useful info too -- https://www.isc.org/downloads/bind/doc/bind-9-10/

> Go and read RFC

Great. Please point at the RFC which specifies the base timeout and EDNS0
backoff.

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf