Question about visibility

Hardy, Andrew andrew-hardy at innerface.net
Thu Oct 11 16:13:52 UTC 2018

Ok I'm a bit confused.  I have some questions re last post, copied below:

I have done this some time ago, I made sure that there was no link from any
pages to the new site,
** So the new site (in development) would have no domain name mapped in
DNS, so it seems unlikely that other sites and pages would have links to
http://x.x.x.x unless the developer put it there.

Google stayed away until somebody typed the address
** You mean typed the IP address? You mean in an actual Google search
string?

 into the search field, then it was known.
** So typing the host IP address as a Google search string would
(ultimately) in time lead to a Google search string, that could be found on
the sites web pages, listing pages from the site?

This is no guarantee of course as mentioned in other place but it worked
for about 6 months.
** Ok, so even if you don't formally register / index (or what ever it is)
your site on Google, if you use it's IP in a search string, given time it
could show up in searches using text that's on its pages?

Just to say thank you so much for people commenting.  I do appreciate you
taking the time.