Question about forwarder zones

John W. Blue john.blue at rrcic.com
Mon Oct 15 17:56:24 UTC 2018

Based upon everything that I am reading it is name specific.  To wit:

".. forwarding rules apply to queries for all domain names that end in the domain name of the zone."

So it would follow that "example.com" would not get queries for "reallycool.example.com" if zone forwarding is configured correctly.  You can walk this out by creating a test zone and pointing at a server that you can run tcpdump on.

As you change the name of the zone (lvl1.example.com vs lvl2.lvl1.example.com) the previous queries for lvl1 that worked should stop and tcpdump should reflect that.

But honestly, seems like a postmortem should be done to find out why BIND had to be restarted unless you already know.

Good hunting!

John