bind-9.12.2-P2 fails to compile with baffling undefined symbol issues

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Thu Oct 18 14:22:29 UTC 2018

On 10/18/2018 04:04 AM, Michał Kępień wrote:
> This looks like an Oracle Developer Studio glitch related to C11 atomic
> operations.  To fix it, try fiddling around with the -xatomic compiler
> option [1] and/or the -std compiler option and/or the CC environment
> variable.  To work around the problem, build BIND with --disable-atomic.
> Note that atomic operations support is mandatory as of BIND 9.13.3.
>
> [1]https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E60778_01/html/E60745/gqico.html
>
> -- Best regards, Michał Kępień

Thank you for the hint. I had not ever seen this before with a build of
anything from isc however I had also recently switched build machines. I
had an older system which used a well patched Oracle Studio 12.4 release
as that thing supported old sparc units. When all the old sparc units
went away then so did the Oracle Studio 12.4 and here we are with 12.6
which seems to do ... odd things.

Could switch over whole hog to gcc of course.

I'll look into this "atomics" thingy.  Thank you.

Dennis