Strange DIG behavior on Windows 10:

Timothy Metzinger tim.metzinger at outlook.com
Tue Oct 23 22:21:32 UTC 2018

I have two windows 10 pro boxes, both with Bind 9.12.3 tools installed.  On one machine, entering "dig" by itself gives me back the root server list as expected.  On the other machine, I get an error that says no name servers could be contacted.

However, if I specify the local name server on that second machine by entering dig @192.168.1.250, I get the root server list.

My logic says that since I can talk to the recursive server, I don't have a firewall issue.  Instead, BIND is not finding the list of name servers (by reading the registry)?   I tried putting in a resolv.conf file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc with contents:

nameserver 192.168.1.250
nameserver 192.168.1.251
nameserver 8.8.8.8

And that made no difference.  Running the command prompt as an administrator makes no difference.   At this point I'm stumped and welcome any suggestions.

Timothy Metzinger