How to create an SRV record for the CSTA service

Darcy, Kevin kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Thu Sep 13 20:38:20 UTC 2018

CSTA? Are you talking about the Unify Openscape Voice stuff? If so, then
that's a VoIP platform, the SRV records are used for SIP stuff. So the
service name is "sip" or "sips". You can't just make up service names, out
of thin air, for "dumb" devices that have service names baked into their
code -- you have to publish records with a service name that they are going
to be able to find.

Our SRV records for Openscape Voice look like, basically,

_sips._tcp.{sip-domain}. 3600 IN SRV 10 0 5061 {target}

and/or

_sip._udp.{sip-domain}. 3600 IN SRV 5 0 5060 {target}

I'm simplifying a bit here. Each of them has a primary (pref 5) and a
failover (pref 10).

The port numbers correspond to what IANA has published at
https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

sip                5060        tcp    SIP

                                                  2014-04-09
[RFC3263]
sip                5060        udp    SIP

                                                  2014-04-09
[RFC3263]
sip                5060       sctp    SIP

[RFC4168]
sips               5061        tcp    SIP-TLS

                                                  2014-04-09
[RFC3263]
sips               5061        udp    SIP-TLS

                                                  2014-04-09
[RFC3263]
sips               5061       sctp    SIP-TLS

Talk to your Voice folks for the values to plug in for {sip-domain} and
{target}, in each case.

                                                                       -
Kevin