NTP through DNS?

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Wed Sep 19 15:19:12 UTC 2018

On 19/09/2018 15:59, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>> An NTP serice doesn't belong to a domain, so maybe not (I don't know of
>> one off my mind).
>>
>       Not necessarily; I can name a few universities and business who
> offer their own NTP servers to their internal systems. AFAIK, this is
> considered good practice.

That's not the point that Mukund was making.

An NTP server is part of your local network configuration.   Your domain
name is also part of your local network configuration.  As such, these
two values are often served by DHCP.

That does not mean, though, that there is a one-to-one mapping from your
domain name to your preferred set of NTP servers.

One could have numerous subnets located all over the planet with
different NTP servers, but all sharing the same domain name.

If it were feasible to store an NTP server address in the DNS it would
more logically fit in the in-addr.arpa zone, and not in a forward zone.

Ray