NTP through DNS?

Danny Mayer mayer at pdmconsulting.net
Fri Sep 21 11:47:46 UTC 2018

On 9/19/2018 11:19 AM, Ray Bellis wrote:
> On 19/09/2018 15:59, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>>> An NTP serice doesn't belong to a domain, so maybe not (I don't know of
>>> one off my mind).
>>>
>>       Not necessarily; I can name a few universities and business who
>> offer their own NTP servers to their internal systems. AFAIK, this is
>> considered good practice.
>
> That's not the point that Mukund was making.
>
> An NTP server is part of your local network configuration.   Your domain
> name is also part of your local network configuration.  As such, these
> two values are often served by DHCP.
>
> That does not mean, though, that there is a one-to-one mapping from your
> domain name to your preferred set of NTP servers.
>
> One could have numerous subnets located all over the planet with
> different NTP servers, but all sharing the same domain name.
>
> If it were feasible to store an NTP server address in the DNS it would
> more logically fit in the in-addr.arpa zone, and not in a forward zone.

Putting on both my BIND9 and NTP hats for a moment:

This answer makes no sense. NTP uses standard DNS FQDN's for all of its
references to NTP servers whether it's using pool, server or peer. I
have no idea where the reverse zone comes in though I haven't read the
external. There is a DHCP option that we have seen but it seems to cause
more confusion that anything.

You can create a DNS A or AAAA or even a CNAME in your local DNS that
the NTP server can use and it all works.

Let me know if I misunderstood what this is really about.

Danny