NTP through DNS?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Sep 21 19:56:48 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Danny Mayer <mayer at pdmconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 9/19/2018 10:12 AM, Andrew Latham wrote:
> > You can add SRV records for NTP to your domain if that is what you are
> > asking.
> >

> NTP doesn't use SRV records and I don't see a use case to do so.

Well, apparently at one point you did :-) --
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2004-December/003645.html

It seems that FreeIPA does actually use SRV for NTP (
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2014-August/msg00254.html)
It shows up in various other FreeIPA discussion and some mentions of is
being used with NetApp.

Therefore I have no idea why this would be any benefit. You can add NTP
> specific FQDN's as A or AAAA or CNAME records if that would be helpful.
>
> Danny
>
> > On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:09 AM Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com
> > <mailto:raubvogel at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Stupid question: can I publish/query the NTP server through DNS the
> >     same way I can ask who is doing LDAP?

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf