Problem with zone delegation with private gTLD

Petr Mensik pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 14:36:13 UTC 2019

On 4/8/19 3:42 PM, Karl Lovink via bind-users wrote:
> I cannot use a registered domain name because I’am building a phishing demo environment and I do not want to use an internet connection.

How exactly is this different from using private TLD domain? In any way,
you have to provide authoritative server for that zone. You can copy
original root zone or create your own root. In any case you have to host
your domain. In private DNS space, chance to get collision is almost
non-existent, you can choose anything you want. example domains might be
useful enough.

You need NS and A records in root zone, and authoritative host on your
zone. Some example can be found in BIND bin/tests/system/resolver [1].

> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Karl

1.
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/tree/master/bin/tests/system/resolver