max file size or line count for BIND zone file

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Apr 25 12:30:51 UTC 2019

Martin Meadows via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> Wondering if anyone is aware of a max file size or max number of lines that
> a given BIND zone file can contain?

There isn't a limit as such, so it depends on the capabilities of your
hardware. I have an old 7.7 million record RPZ zone here which
named-compilezone on my workstation loads in 32 seconds using 2GB RAM.
There are much bigger zones out there, e.g. .co.uk is hosted on BIND and
has roughly 9 million delegations. I won't guess how many records per
delegation on average :-)

Tony.
Channel Islands: South or southwest 4 or 5, locally 6 with gusts to 35kt,
decreasing 2 to 4 by early evening, locally variable 1 to 3 for a time, then
tonight south or southwest 3 or 4 locally 5, veering west 5 or 6 before
midday. Slight, occasionally moderate mid-channel at first, then increasing
moderate to rather rough late morning. Scattered showers, some heavy and
thundery till around midnight. Good, occasionally moderate or poor in showers.