DNS domain Pointing to a DSL U/verse host

Eduardo Bonsi beartcom at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 15 22:32:04 UTC 2019

Dear Fred,

> First, thank you for taking the time to layout your views and suggestion!

I've read through this a couple of times. Seems like you've got Apache running on 162.201.66.177 (and presumably you know that it is in fact visible to the world). The provider's reverse record points to 162-201-66-177.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net. You run the DNS for the zone, and you've got the address in question in there as www. You've also usurped the zone 66.201.162.in-addr.arpa and configured it on that server.

The problem statement seems to be some variation of "when I do a reverse lookup on 162.201.66.177 I get 162-201-66-177.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net instead of www.bonsi.org".

The problem statement has the following variations:

1) Doing a DNS lookup with a DNS tool, e.g. dig.
2) Apache
2a) Doing name lookups during/access control.
2b) Where it's doing them.

I very assiduously stated "usurped" above. For starters, out of the /24 you only defined the record you're interested in. If you were authoritative, you'd better expect complaints. ;-)

NOTE: This is a perfect use case for off-label use of RPZ, you could define your PTR record in an RPZ and you wouldn't need to take over the whole zone.

> Thank you for this suggestion! It would be great to have some examples, if is not to ask you too much already!

Fundamentally, you're not authoritative for the zone:

> I am totally aware about that! That would be more simple if I just go ahead and order some static ips from AT&T ...and that would cost me an arm and a leg and get done with it! Then, "probably" I would not > be here asking this question at all.

> However, I am trying to use what is available to me, (something but not too much! but with not intention to use unduly) and do the best I can with this something! Thanks for using the word "usurped" because > it did raise my awareness to fix something that I thought would just facilitate the resolution of the the domain. It was not my deliberate intention to "usurp" the 66.201.162.in-addr.arpa zone even thou
> your use of the word is totally correct for this case.

# dig 66.201.162.in-addr.arpa ns +short
ns10b.attdns.net.
ns10a.attdns.net.

You're not authoritative for bonsi.org either:

# dig bonsi.org soa +short
ns-cloud-b1.googledomains.com. cloud-dns-hostmaster.google.com. 55 21600 3600 259200 300
# dig bonsi.org soa ns +short
;; Warning, extra type option
ns-cloud-b3.googledomains.com.
ns-cloud-b4.googledomains.com.
ns-cloud-b1.googledomains.com.
ns-cloud-b2.googledomains.com.

> Yes, I am aware about that too! Even thou, I am not authoritative according to the BIND rules, I do have authoritative control of the zone bonsi.org at the registrar GoogleDomains.com.

If you want to get your definition, you need to refer to your server:

# dig @216.239.32.107 www.bonsi.org +short
162.201.66.177

And...

dig @216.239.32.107 -x 162.201.66.177

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @216.239.32.107 -x 162.201.66.177
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 59075
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;177.66.201.162.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR

;; Query time: 21 msec
;; SERVER: 216.239.32.107#53(216.239.32.107)
;; WHEN: Thu Aug 15 09:06:24 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

Oh drat that didn't work! What's the ground truth here? The ground truth is that this isn't truly your server, it's Google's:

# dig -x 216.239.32.107 +short
ns-cloud-b1.googledomains.com.

Google isn't going to let you do that. For one thing, Google probably knows they're not authoritative for the reverse zone (previously shown).

> The only one with authority to reverse that ip is AT&T and as I mention before, AT&T is not going to do that unless I pay them the extra, extra bucks for static IPs.

Now we're going to talk about running your own nameserver (like BIND) because it's useful. I'm going to ignore the forward DNS for bonsi.org, which is working. FTR, if you were running your own server (and committed to managing it for use as an auth) you could request that the zone be delegated there from .org.

> I am aware of that! I just could ask AT&T to reverse the domain. I am only running a catching namesever locally, (No recursion) and for that I am only authoritative for the internal zones. Here, I can do >that without having to request anybody ... :)

> [server:~] root# dig @127.0.0.1 -x 192.168.1.3

> ; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @127.0.0.1 -x 192.168.1.3
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 4
>
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;3.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> 3.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. 3600	IN	PTR	bonsi.org.
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	3600	IN	NS	ns1.bonsi.org.
> 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	3600	IN	NS	ns3.bonsi.org.
> 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	3600	IN	NS	ns2.bonsi.org.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> ns1.bonsi.org.		3600	IN	A	192.168.1.21
> ns2.bonsi.org.		3600	IN	A	192.168.1.31
> ns3.bonsi.org.		3600	IN	A	192.168.1.41
>
> ;; Query time: 0 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Aug 15 14:27:33 PDT 2019
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 178

The use cases we're concerned with here are having a local vanity zone, and the unquestioned virtues of a local caching resolver. We are going to assume that the caching resolver is not open to the world. You could even run your bonsi.org authoritatively on the caching resolver but not delegated, if you wanted to have stuff which resolved locally but wasn't in the zone for world + dog (see previous note regarding RPZ).

I'm going to assume that your configuration for the reverse zone will work, subject to the previous caveats regarding multiple PTR records, ignoring completeness (see previous note regarding RPZ).

Assuming that you've got the reverse zone defined (in a DNS server which will serve it) you can query it with "dig @<nameserver-address> ..." (which we tried above and got REFUSED).

That's not particularly convenient. What you'd do is set this resolver as the DNS for your subnet (either manually or via DHCP). Having done so, zones which are authoritatively (or via RPZ) served from the caching resolver will mask the properly delegated configuration.

If you configure your local caching resolver for the server running Apache, then Apache will use it when resolving addresses to names, as it is wont to do for access control and logging. This is also likely to be faster than reaching out over the internet; it will also continue to work if Google's DNS goes down for some reason.

Looks like you've got IPv6 too, we'll leave that for aother day.

We'll leave search lists and information leakage for another day.