Problem to transfer reverse zone DNS on secondary DNS servers

N6Ghost n6ghost at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 20:34:51 UTC 2019

On Friday, December 27, 2019 10:01:31 AM PST Reindl Harald wrote:

> > On 27.12.19 18:50, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> says who?
> >
> > common sense I'd say...
> >
> >> in our /24 range 1-99 are public servers, the rest is internal
> >> infrastructure and workstations and there is no point to have that
> >> mapping public
> >
> > Either you have DNS records or you have not.  If you have them, either you
> > manage them, or you fetch part of it from customer
>
> have you ever heard about internal and external views?

I think there is a couple of things going on here.

1: is the IP space delegated or not?  if it is, then there needs to be a local
reverse zone.

2:  if the ISP is involved then maybe they own the IP space and its not really
delegated.  or maybe its shared space don't know.

3: using views are great for splitting IP or fwd zones between internal hosts
and ext hosts.  but you still need to own the zones.

i would say have a conversation with the ISP about the reverse zone, and ask
specifically how its setup and why.   and if you own the IP space or not and
what the delegation is like.

-N6Ghost