DNS load balancing: UDP or TCP ?

Roberto Carna robertocarna36 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:14:07 UTC 2019

Dear, I have to balance two DNS servers for a special reason.

I need your comments please:

1) If I use HAProxy for DNS load balancing, this software only works with
TCP protocol (not UDP). The DNS clients are a mix of Windows, Cisco and
Linux machines, so I think they ask for a FQDN using UDP and after that -if
there is no response-, they ask the same FQDN using TCP, and so the load
balancing will be succesful.

2) Or do you recommend the use of a UDP load balancing method, maybe for
faster responses??? In this case what UDP load balancer can I try ???

Thanking in advance.

Robert