DNS load balancing: UDP or TCP ?

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Wed Feb 20 15:32:02 UTC 2019

On 2/20/19 10:22 AM, Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 2/20/19 7:55 AM, Roberto Carna wrote:
>
>> DNS clients send a UDP query to a DNS server, if no response is received
>> until some seconds, then they try with UDP.
>> You tell me this is not true, just clients try with UDP is the response
>> is truncated.
>
> Tony is correct, the first paragraph above IS NOT TRUE.

Assuming that the first paragraph above was re-written to the way it was
in the original post which was (something along the lines of):

> DNS clients send a UDP query to a DNS server, if no response is
> received until some seconds, then they try with TCP.

I really don't like this pair of threads (this one and the one with no
subject line).

Answers have been given.  The people here are WAY smart.  Test and verify!

AlanC