Combining forward with master zone.

King, Harold Clyde (Hal) hck at utk.edu
Wed Feb 20 20:39:56 UTC 2019

Could I just define needs.example.com as a zone in a separate file so:

zone "example.com" { type master; notify no; file "static/antiphish.db"; };

zone "needs.example.com" { type forward; forwards{8.8.8.8;};

--

Hal

We have a URL phishing setup that causes URLs we detect to redirect to a warning page. We have run into a problem. One of our clients has scripts that he calls from a host in that domain.

Needs.example.com when we block example.com.

Can I create a root zone to define a wildcard pointing to our warning page with one hostname defined going to a forward’ed DNS source? I could just give it an IP, but can I forward that one domain to outside DNS (Google or their NS repository)?

Here’s a very rough draft of the root zone:

$ORIGIN .

$TTL 3600

example.com      IN SOA   us.ourdns.com.  helpdesk.ourdns.com.

*            CNAME  url-blocking.ourdns.com

needs    forward(8.8.8.8)

--

Hal