dns cache issue

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Thu Jan 10 15:17:01 UTC 2019

Offhand, sounds like your LAN is saturated so the queries might not be
getting to BIND in the first place. Or the replies aren't getting back.
It's unlikely that QoS is going to help this, you indicated that QoS was on
your "router", and that is typical -- usually QoS is found on WAN links.
(Although, on the other hand, you mentioned VoIP, and VoIP sometimes
requires applying QoS at the LAN level too).

You currently have query logging turned off. If it's not too
resource-intensive, you might want to consider turning that on, to verify
whether the queries are getting to BIND. Or, run a packet capture on the
BIND side. Packet capture on the BIND device should also help to identify
any issues talking upstream (e.g. to TLD servers or auth servers for
domains like google.com). Packet capture on the *client* side would
probably be necessary for definitive proof of whether replies are being
dropped by the LAN (compare what the server sent side-by-side with what the
client saw).

I was intrigued by "server fe80::/16 { bogus yes; }; " in your config. Have
you had issues with IPv6 link-local addresses being associated with
delegated nameservers? I haven't noticed this, but then again, I haven't
been looking for that particular misconfiguration specifically...

                        - Kevin