DNS flag day

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jan 18 20:56:32 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 3:28 PM Ben Croswell <ben.croswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would imagine "its a hoax" is code for we dont want to bother
> remediating.

yah, I get their "Don't want to do it" position, but "It's a hoax" seems
like a poor selection from the possible excuses -- when flag day occurs it
will be clear that this wasn't a hoax, being tricked simply makes you look
stupid / uninformed.

Much better excuses would be along the lines of "We are planning on
remediating" (and hoping the issue goes away), "We are philosophically
opposed to this", "We believe that we are compliant and the testing is
busticated", "This doesn't apply to us", "Nope, you misunderstood, this
only need to be mitigated by servers which process EDNS replies, and our
servers don't do that." or "That's a question for the architecture team,
I'll get them to call you back the week after next. Pardon? I didn't take
your phone number? Oh well", or even "sorry, I'm going through a tunnel and
my reception is poor... <sounds of rustling chip packet>EDNS, yes .. comp..
mitiga..<click>" :-P