Not receiving "Fixed/Ordered" query response

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Jan 26 07:37:45 UTC 2019

On 25.01.19 13:39, Brent Douglas wrote:
>We are testing a query:
>FQDN: test.testdomain.net
>Query Type: AAAA
>
>Client > DNS A > DNS B
>
>Simplified DNS query flow:
>1. Client queries test.testdomain.net -t AAAA
>2. Query goes to DNS A which then forwards the query to DNS B
>3. DNS B responds with 2 ORDERED IPV6 addresses to DNS A
>4. DNS A receives the 2 ORDERED IPV6 addresses from DNS B
>
>Expected
>5. DNS A responsds with 2 ORDERED IPV6 addresses to Client
>
>What is happening
>5. DNS A responds with 2 NON-ORDERED IPV6 addresses to Client

maybe you could try configure sortlist:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.9.11/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#the_sortlist_statement

BTW what is the point of you wanting to use fixed order?

>Things we have tried:
>Turn off cacheing on DNS A and DNS B
>
>Things we noticed:
>When the query goes from DNS A to DNS B, the transaction ID changes

it does not change, it is a different DNS transaction.

>When DNS A responds with 2 IPV6 address to Client, the transaction ID
>changes back to the original transaction ID.

It does not change, it is the original transaction.

>What options/settings are we overlooking to make sure the Client receives
>fixed ordered query responses?

>What could be the reason for DNS A receiving the ordered query response
>from DNS B, but does not send the ordered query response back to the client?

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.9.11/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#options

Note

In this release of BIND 9, the rrset-order statement does not support
"fixed" ordering by default.  Fixed ordering can be enabled at compile time
by specifying "--enable-fixed-rrset" on the "configure" command line.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.