Bind has a database option instead of zone files?

Rick Dicaire kritek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:00:23 UTC 2019

I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, databases are supported. I see
this in ./configure --help:

  --with-dlz-postgres=PATH
                          Build with Postgres DLZ driver [yes|no|path].
                          (Required to use Postgres with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-mysql=PATH   Build with MySQL DLZ driver [yes|no|path].
(Required
                          to use MySQL with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-bdb=PATH     Build with Berkeley DB DLZ driver [yes|no|path].
                          (Required to use Berkeley DB with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-filesystem=ARG
                          Build with filesystem DLZ driver [yes|no].
(Required
                          to use file system driver with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-ldap=PATH    Build with LDAP DLZ driver [yes|no|path].
(Required
                          to use LDAP with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-odbc=PATH    Build with ODBC DLZ driver [yes|no|path].
(Required
                          to use ODBC with DLZ)
  --with-dlz-stub=ARG     Build with stub DLZ driver [yes|no]. (Required to
                          use stub driver with DLZ)

A look at Bind 9.12 ARM
https://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.12.0/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.pdf
shows in section 4.12:

4.12 DLZ (Dynamically Loadable Zones) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Curious, I used to use the sdb interface to postgres a number of years ago,
but I don't see any reference to sdb in ./configure anymore, guess its been
removed, deprecated in favor of dlz?

@bramesh See https://nlnet.nl/project/bind-dlz/200205-sane/paper.html