BIND 9.14.2 configure problem

greg.rabil at bt.com greg.rabil at bt.com
Fri Jun 7 14:41:09 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,
I am attempting to build BIND 9.14.2 on a CentOS 7 machine, and having problems with "configure: error: ECDSA support in OpenSSL is mandatory."

When I build OpenSSL 1.1.1c, I have tried to explicitly enable ECDSA when running config (first attempt was to just leave the defaults):

./config no-shared enable-ecdsa -prefix=/opt/tmp/openssl
make
make install

However when I specify this freshly built OpenSSL 1.1.1c install location when configuring BIND 9.14.2, it still complains:

checking for openssl/ssl.h in /opt/tmp/openssl/... yes
checking whether compiling and linking against OpenSSL works... yes
checking for OpenSSL >= 1.0.0 or LibreSSL... yes
checking for CRYPTO_zalloc... yes
checking for EVP_CIPHER_CTX_new... no
checking for EVP_CIPHER_CTX_free... no
checking for EVP_MD_CTX_new... no
checking for EVP_MD_CTX_free... no
checking for EVP_MD_CTX_reset... no
checking for HMAC_CTX_new... no
checking for HMAC_CTX_free... no
checking for HMAC_CTX_reset... no
checking for HMAC_CTX_get_md... no
checking for ECDSA_sign... no
configure: error: in `/tmp/bind-9.14.2':
configure: error: ECDSA support in OpenSSL is mandatory.

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Greg Rabil