BIND ignores queries from specific privileged source ports

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jun 10 16:32:55 UTC 2019

On 6/10/19 10:18 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> Why would the original source port be close to any of these low port
> numbers? Source ports should normally be ephemeral ports.

There has been some movement afoot in the last 10 years or so to use
more of the 65,535 ports as the source port for security reasons.

The motivation behind it is to add additional bits of entropy to make it
harder to predict and spoof a reply.

Steve Gibson has a good page with a lot of the details.  At least
explaining the mentality behind it.  I don't have the skills to judge it.

Link - DNS Nameserver Spoofability Test
  - https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

--
Grant. . . .