Useful tip on nsupdate -- readline support.

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Jun 11 14:03:30 UTC 2019

Hi there all,

I manually use nsupdate to make some changes to some of my zones -
most recently I had to add a bunch of reverse DNS records. These are
all very similar - the first octet changes, and then the target name
changes. Unfortuniatly nsupdate doesn't support readline, and so the
obvious "press up arrow, edit previous line, press enter" doesn't
work, and so I end up entering one line, copying that into an editor,
making changes, pasting, making changes, etc.

I just stumbled across this --
https://dnsworkshop.de/nsupdate-history.html by Carsten Strotmann

Basically, uses rlwrap to wrap readline support into nsupdate - you
just call `rlwrap nsupdate` and magically nsupdate now supports
editing.

'tis a simple trick, but removes much annoyance.

[0]: Yes, I know I could rndc sync, rndc freeze, edit, rndc thaw, etc
-- but this is easier!

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf