Useful tip on nsupdate -- readline support.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jun 12 13:20:33 UTC 2019

Mukund Sivaraman <muks at mukund.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:03:30AM -0400, Warren Kumari wrote:
> >
> > I manually use nsupdate to make some changes to some of my zones -
> > most recently I had to add a bunch of reverse DNS records. These are
> > all very similar - the first octet changes, and then the target name
> > changes. Unfortuniatly nsupdate doesn't support readline,

This annoyed me too, so I added readline support to BIND in 2011 ish -
I think it was one of my earliest contributions :-) See CHANGES 3244.

You might also like my `nsvi` program. https://dotat.at/prog/nsdiff/

> * readline is GPL

There are non-GPL readline clones, e.g. the BSDs have libedit which I
think should work with BIND, though I can't conveniently check right now.

Tony.
the market alone does not distribute wealth or income fairly