A policy for removing named.conf options.

Stacey Marshall stacey.marshall at oracle.com
Fri Jun 14 10:26:36 UTC 2019

On 13 Jun 2019, at 13:37, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:

> I'd suggest also giving warnings for deprecated options when running
> named-checkconf (and named-checkzone if applicable).   You mention the
> logs but not the commands.
>
> Jeffrey C. Lightner
> Sr. UNIX/Linux Administrator

With named-checkconf and named-checkzone warning about future
deprecation ahead of time, startup scripts could perhaps implement
checks.  Perhaps an exit code could signify the issue, and or have the
messages follow a standard format for easy testing of output.
Allowing SMF / systemd to then show the service as degraded.

ESV release could have the tools updated in micro release to provide
early warnings; for those that update to the later releases at least.

Mr. Stacey Marshall - Principal Software Engineer - Oracle UK
Oracle Systems, SPARC & Solaris System Software Engineering.