Help: BIND _ Recursive query

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Mar 3 13:15:20 UTC 2019

On 03.03.19 14:55, Vivek Aggarwal wrote:
>> Please help in understand what the purpose of specifying "recursion yes"

it means that BIND will provide recursion, e.g. resolve domains not
confiured locally.

>> in the "named.conf.options" file when I have already configured the
>> forwarders list in it.

configuring forwarders will now enable recursion. Without "recursion yes"
forwarders are useless.

>> I've a zone file for managing the internal subnet machines & when I get a
>> request outside of my internal subnet machines, I want to forward the DNS
>> queries to my "forwarders" list of machines

if you don't need forwarders (e.g. you are behind firewall with no internet
access), then don't use forwarders. BIND can resolve itself and using
forwarders rarely help anything.

>> The thing I not clear here , is it okay for me to not use attribute "
>> "recursion yes" & let my forwarders list handle the recursive behaviour &
>> provide the result.

recursion is "yes" by default. with "recursion no" BIND will not ask
forwarders if you ask for non-local info.

>> And second question, in this setup where I'm managing the zone
>> configuration for resolving internal machines ,whether it make sense to use
>> "recursion yes" or not

"recursion yes" is required when you need to resolve outside zones. That
means, for most cases it's required for BIND to work.
Remember half the people you know are below average.