Help: BIND _ Recursive query

Paul Kosinski bind at iment.com
Sat Mar 9 18:33:13 UTC 2019

I gather "recursion yes" (explicit or default) controls whether BIND
*does* recursion itself, in the sense of querying other DNS servers for
data it doesn't have, not whether it *issues* queries with the
"recursion desired" flag set. (Somewhat confusing terminology, in my
opinion.)

So is the "recursion desired" flag only set when there are forwarders?
Presumably it is set in the case of "forward only", but what happens if
there are forwarders defined and both "recursion yes" (default) and
"forward first" (default) are specified?