allow-update in global options (was Re: bind and certbot with dns-challenge)

G.W. Haywood bind at jubileegroup.co.uk
Mon Mar 18 10:53:12 UTC 2019

Hi there,

I've been reading this exchange with growing frustration, and I hope a
forthright response will be excused - especially since I now have to
dash out to the hospital so I don't have more time to work on this.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, or possibly earlier, Alan Clegg wrote:

> The change was an unintended consequence ...

Please try not to let things like that escape into the wild, and
please, please, NEVER turn them into deliberate actions purely for
your own convenience.  If this means that you have to pull a release,
then so what?  You've put me first.  That's fine by me.

> How many zones are you authoritative for?  Would it be a major
> difficulty to (once) change the existing zones and then modify your
> provisioning to add the "allow-update" option in the zone stanza?

Please don't even *think* questions like that.  Maybe you could code
it yourself, and send the script out with the next release, and take
the flack when it breaks, and next time, well, not do it.

> ... roasted because they don't read the release notes.

Seems to me that you don't care anything like enough about this.

> If we (ISC) base our changes on what we've gotten in response to the
> surveys, we will make changes based on the fact that nearly all of the
> somewhere around 20 people that use BIND are using Solaris.
>
> Not enough people actually respond to our surveys to base any real
> changes on the results.

Apologies for speaking frankly, but that's a lie.

> If anyone can tell me why we have such low response rates to our
> surveys, please let me know that as well... WE NEED YOUR INPUT.

THE ISC HAS ALREADY HAD MY INPUT.  HERE, ON THIS LIST.

> If, after breaking things because the default behavior changed and you
> hadn't read the release notes, you can then read the release notes, and
> you will know why it broke.

If you can say that, I can now confidently tell you that even if you
are asking questions, you aren't asking the right questions and you
aren't listening to the answers anyway.  The people you're asking tend
to be busy, and the people that are likely to be able to give you
useful responses tend to be VERY busy.  Try asking:

"If the next release of BIND breaks your existing configurations and
you either have to start writing sed and awk scripts to fix them or
change to a different product, can you tell us

1. what else will be going on in your office that morning,

2. exactly how pleased you will be to have your load increased without
warning, and

3. as a result of the next disruption we've planned for you, how much
more likely will it be that you will change to a different product?"

Right, you say, you already know the answers.  Try also:

"Are thousands and thousands of surveys from suppliers annoying?"

Right, you say, you already know the answer to that one too.  (I have
a couple of milter rules that reply to email surveys with a specially
crafted 550 5.7.1 ...)

And please, DON'T EVER say:

"WE NEED YOUR INPUT"

when you've already had it.  If you make a survey, and the result you
get back is a big "Yawn", that input tells you what you need to know.

In case there's still any doubt, pop along to Vicky's office and have
a chat with her (even if it means that you'll have to get on a 'plane,
it will be worth it).  On the wall in Vicky's office you should find
an email from me.  I've reproduced it below together with her response
to it.  Apologies, Vicky, if that's taking a liberty.

There are users, and there's everything else, like the infrastructure.
The users alone give us enough trouble thank you very much, and *they*
usually only give trouble one at a time.

It's REALLY annoying when the infrastructure starts to give trouble,
because then all the users kick off, all at once, and they tell us
it's all our fault.

Curiously enough, it is.

--

73,