RPZ and forward zone trouble

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:37:45 UTC 2019

On 3/25/19, Miguel Mucio Santos Moreira wrote:

> Hello everybody!

Hi!

> I have a problem with DNS-RPZ and forward zone working together.
> I've created a rpz zone with the following trigger on my recursive DNS
> Server:
> 18.0.0.198.200.rpz-nsip IN CNAME rpz-passthru.

Which means anybody can answer with a 200.198.0.0/18 address and it
will be accepted.  .. probably not what you want.

> It means any query response comming from a DNS Server which IP address
> matching with the any IP address at entire CIDR block 200.198.0.0/18 will be
> answered with rpz-passthru
> It works perfectly for any domain hosted in my Authoritative DNS Servers.
> But when I apply on my recursive RPZ DNS Server a forward zone for those
> domains hosted on my Authoritative DNS Servers the problems appear and it is
> very weird.
>
> I have a mg.gov.br domain

I'd go with

mg.gov.br  IN CNAME  rpz-passthru.
  -- it's your domain so hopefully you can trust whatever answers it gives
18.0.0.198.200.rpz-nsip IN CNAME  .
  -- nobody else gets to answer with your address space

Regards,
Lee