Preferred log location with ISC copr package

Michał Kępień michal at isc.org
Wed May 22 06:25:44 UTC 2019

> I did a fresh installation from isc/bind-esv onto CentOS 7. It doesn't look
> to me like the permissions on the log directory were set correctly.
>
> > drwxr-xr-x. 2 root  root   6 May 15 23:29 /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log
> > drwxr-x---. 3 root  named 18 May 20 15:01 /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/named
> > drwxrwx---. 2 named named 77 May 20 15:52 /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/named/data
>

> The helpful suggestion above had me expecting the log directory would be set
> similar to the named/data directory, with write permissions for the process
> UID.
>
> My follow-up question is: Should the package installation have set different
> owner:group and permissions on /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/log?

My apologies for not making myself entirely clear in my previous
message.  Let me try again.

ISC packages only set up the following directory for logging purposes:

    /var/opt/isc/isc-bind/named/data

If you want to make named write logs to any other directory, you have to
set up that directory yourself.

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień