Should we remove the DLV code?

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu May 23 05:31:34 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:41:05PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
> ISC said DLV would go away once the root got signed. It's long outlived
> its usefulness (DLV that is, not ISC). The root first got signed ~10
> years ago. That's more than enough time to make other arrangements and
> have an orderly withdrawal from DLV.

The ISC DLV service *has* gone away; dlv.isc.org is an empty zone.

The lookaside validation code in BIND can still be used with a different
lookaside zone, though, if someone wanted to for some reason.  One
possible reason is distribution of trust anchors for a private corporate
domain.  AIUI, there are some people doing that; I don't know how many.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.