CNAME as an alias to a TXT record

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Nov 6 08:48:34 UTC 2019

On 04.11.19 12:30, Computerisms Corporation wrote:
>I am wondering if it is possible to create a CNAME in one zone to
>resolve as a TXT record in another zone.

CNAME will not resolve as a TXT.
CNAME will make ALL types queries for original query being resolved as the
destination

> Can't find anything that
>says it will work, but can't find any thing that says it won't,
>either.
>
>For example, I have added in the zone file for dom1:
>
>_acme-challenge	CNAME	_acme-challenge.dom2.com.
>
>and then in zone file for dom2:
>
>_acme-challenge	TXT	"thisismytextvalue"
>
>Then, and more or less as expected, the following dig command fails to
>return a record.
>
>dig -t TXT  _acme-challenge.dom1.com

is is supposed to work this way. If it doesn't, you have an error somewhere.

Are you sure that there's no other _acme-challenge.dom1.com record than the
CNAME?

(R)etry, (A)bort, (C)ancer