Using different OS for Master and Slaves

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Nov 13 23:23:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:58 AM Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <mailman.144.1573569770.733.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>
> > Am 12.11.19 um 14:00 schrieb G.W. Haywood via bind-users:
> > > Hi there,

> > > It depends on whether or not you enjoy pain
> >
> > there shouldn't be any pain from a technical point of view and there is
> > one security case which could be solved with mixing:
>
> I suspect the pain he was referring to is not really DNS-specific, but
> just due to having to manage servers with different operating systems.
> This means using a more diverse set of management tools, different
> configuration syntax, etc.

Yes -- and as a meta-comment -- using configuration management tools
(Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt, etc etc) makes this sort of thing *much*
easier. It;s slightly more work to setup / configure initially, but
especially if you are dealing with multiple nameservers or operating
systems, the level of abstraction you get and / or clear location for
the changes you've made makes a world of differnce.
Just like adding unittests, it initially seems like a lot of faff for
an unclear advantage (other than hipster cred), but once you've gotten
into the habit you quickly understand why it's worth it...