Log rolling stopped working in 9.11.12 ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Nov 18 21:53:56 UTC 2019

I recently updated from 9.11.10 to 9.11.12 with the ISC-provided package
for CentOS 7. Everything looked ok, until today when my monitoring
application told me I was running out of disk space.

ACK! Log rolling on my servers stopped.

My named.conf has lines like:
       file "query.log" versions 10 size 1000m;

In my directory, I have:
   query.log.9
   query.log.8
   query.log.7
   query.log.6
   query.log.5
   query.log.4
   query.log.3
   query.log.2
   query.log.1
   query.log.0
   query.log

Log numbers 0-9 are 1001M (as expected).
The current log is 28G and growing :(

I've looked over the BIND release notes and don't see anything about a
change to the logging behavior. Did I miss something?

Or maybe some kernel (or other package) patch broke some dependency?

I'm looking for ideas here.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration