DDNS with extra vhosts...

Petr Mensik pemensik at redhat.com
Wed Oct 2 11:11:02 UTC 2019

Hi John,

I came to similar example and wanted possible names also under developer
namespace. Something like dev1.user.example.org,  you could add to zone
user.example.org:

dev1.user.example.org. IN NS dev1.example.org.

Then configure dev1 like Ondřej suggested, set dev1.example.org IP from
DHCP.

Then users with local DNS server installed and enabled will be able to
add custom names, records under their own namespace. Anyone willing run
their own server can use custom records, others would still have at
least IP address internally. If routing is also fixed somehow, gives
ability to developer to give access to his virtual machines running on
his box. But that is more DHCP and routing configuration than DNS.

dnsmasq --auth-server=dev1.user.example.org might be able to serve local
developer's /etc/hosts, any better DNS server would work too.

I expect public IP addresses are used or example.org is internal only zone.

Regards,
Petr

On 9/29/19 7:22 PM, John Robson via bind-users wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've set up both ISC dhcpd and ISC bind to provide relevant services to a
> virtualised test lab.  In the test lab obviously boxes will be brought up
> and down fairly frequently, and I'm aiming to minimise the amount of effort
> that this takes our users.
>
> So - the machines get an IP address and dhcpd updates bind, so a specific
> internal domain gets updated - let's use example.orghere for ease of
> reading.
>
> That all works (after a little fight with permissions).
> I set up a machine with a hostname of 'foo' and there is an automagic DNS
> entry `foo.example.org`.
>
> BUT - what I'd like to do is have `*.foo.example.org` (or even a specific
> listing of subdomains) point to that IP as well - to enable the various
> vhost based services on the test machines to be accessed without having to
> mess with local hosts files or further mess with DNS each time.
>
> e.g. test.foo.example.org should point to the same IP as foo.example.org (heck,
> could even be a cname)
>
> Is there some simple configuration I am missing - or is this not possible?
> Is there a better way to get to where I want to be*?
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
>

> * Previously we had all the test boxes in one /24, so we had `lab123` for
> the box whose IP ended in 123... but we're now in a /23, and that gets a
> lot messier to handle with fixed names (not particularly keen on the idea
> of test341 being for the top half ending in 341-256=85 - nor am I keen on 5
> digit test ids...)

Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
Red Hat, http://www.redhat.com/