Delegation not working from slave.

John Robson jrobson at zenoss.com
Wed Oct 2 11:45:01 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I have an internal domain with a subdomain that I now have being
dynamically updated (thanks).
For the purposes of documentation I shall use: sub.example.org

The main DNS server in the network (i.e. the one everyone queries) is set
as a slave to my server for the example.org domain.
Transfers are working, an SOA query shows the serial is correct, and it
updates on change.

i.e.
dns.example.org slaves to myserver.example.org to provide sub.example.org
myserver.example.org then delegates dyn.sub.example.org to
dynsub.example.org using the NS record:
dyn.sub.example.org. IN NS dynsub.example.org.

If I query myserver then I get delegated to dynsub for the
dyn.sub.example.org queries, and get the right answer.
If I query for the NS record: dig @myserver dyn.sub.example.org ns then I
get given dynsub.example.org as an answer.

If I query the main DNS server (which has the updated serial listed in it's
SOA) then I get nxdomain for either an NS query against dyn.sub.example.org
or a query for anything in that subdomain.
If I unpack the zone file (since the main server is running binary file
formats) then I see the NS record, with the default TTL explicitly stated.
But the server won't use that in a reply.

Again - I am sure I've missed something obvious, but can't see what.

Cheers,

John

--

*John Robson*