Delegation not working from slave.

John Robson jrobson at zenoss.com
Wed Oct 9 14:19:05 UTC 2019

Yep - I know that I've almost certainly kludged it horribly...

But I suspect that we're going to have to redo more of the DNS
infrastructure than just this at some point fairly soon - so to some extent
I'll let someone else fix it later... (I know)

I had added the NS records for the subdomain to it's parent domain, which I
thought was what was required for delegation, but clearly I've missed
something in there.

John

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 at 13:39, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>
wrote:

> On 04.10.19 17:44, John Robson via bind-users wrote:
> >I think I've missed something very obvious...
>
> apparently
>
> >I don't think that the main DNS server was behaving sensibly in terms of
> >recursive searches.
> >I've now had the main DNS servers also act as slaves, and it's all
> working.
>
> and while you haven't fixed the problem which you didn't even describe
> properly, you have worked aropund it.
> It may return and hit you back, again, even harder.
>
> maybe you should describe it more deeply.
>
> >My understanding (which may have been presented in a confused manner in
> >earlier emails)
> >Master (hosts zone file) Slave (transfers from master)
>
> slave hosts the zone too.
>
> >Delegation - one dns server pointing at the NS for the next subdomain
> down.
>
> no, delegation is not dns server pointing. It's the zone having NS records
> for subzone.
>
> I can guess you failed to do this, so while your master knows where the
> subzone is, slave does not.
>
> >On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 03:57, Grant Taylor via bind-users <
> >bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> >> I'm not completely following what you're doing.  But your wording causes
> >> me to pause, make a comment, and ask for clarification.
> >>
> >> Comment:  slave (and master) is not the same thing as delegation.
> >>
> >> Question:  Is dns.example.org delegating sub.example.org to
> >> myserver.example.org?  Or is myserver.example.org a slave for some zone
> >> (which I can't clearly extract from your message)?
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody

*John Robson*