Bind-Efficientip

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Oct 21 15:15:30 UTC 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:26 PM John W. Blue <john.blue at rrcic.com> wrote:

> There is a ton of fluff on the EfficientIP website about carrier grade this and carrier grade that.  So it feels like to me that you are getting trapped in the marketing goo when you really should be asking if an IPAM solution is what your organization needs.
>

> That said, IPAM software (Infoblox and Bluecat for example) is typically geared towards enterprise customers who are looking for granularity and the ability to populate metadata.  That may or may not be the right fit for you.

Indeed.
I've been using NetBox (https://netbox.readthedocs.io/en/stable/) for
a few years, and have been very happy with it -- it's a combination:
* IP address management (IPAM) - IP networks and addresses, VRFs, and VLANs
* Equipment racks - Organized by group and site
* Devices - Types of devices and where they are installed
* Connections - Network, console, and power connections among devices
* Virtualization - Virtual machines and clusters
* Data circuits - Long-haul communications circuits and providers
* Secrets - Encrypted storage of sensitive credentials

I use it as the primary source of truth for my personal networks /
wife's client's networks / other networks I help run.
As well as answering "Where the hell is 192.0.2.23?!" it also answers
"What port is the machine foo.bar.exmaple.com connected to, what color
is the cable, what is it labeled as, what rack is it in, and what is
the access code to open the cabinet?!".

It doesn't natively generate DNS zonefiles, but there are plugins
which can do so...