Bind-Efficientip

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Oct 21 16:01:03 UTC 2019

[ Classification Level: PUBLIC ]

It's not clear to me from the marketing fluff whether EfficientIP is based
on BIND or not.

If it is, then consider that you have an open-source codebase, and the
eternal debate is whether open source is inherently more secure or not. On
the one side, is the "many eyes makes all bugs shallow", i.e. more
visibility of the code means more likelihood of finding bugs. But, the bad
guys can see the code too. So then, you have to evaluate "after a bug is
found, how quickly can it be patched in all implementations which use that
codebase?".

If, on the other hand, the codebase is proprietary, there are more likely
to be bugs, undiscovered for longer. But, it's harder for the bad guys to
find. They have to use fuzzing, reverse engineering, etc. And then, do you
trust the company to actually *acknowledge* or *admit* that the bug exists,
if a "white hat" researcher finds it first. There have been many documented
cases, where vendors of proprietary software go into denial mode, even as
vulnerabilities are being actively exploited.

Beyond the DNS codebase itself, if there are other components to the
product suite -- and EfficientIP seems to have a wide portfolio; they're
not just a DNS/DHCP solution -- all of those components are potentially
vulnerable too. Web components can be subject to cross-site scripting,
database components to SQL injection and the like. But, many of the
EfficientIP components seem to *enhance* security too, whether it be more
visibility (feeding into a SIEM, presumably), DoS protection, etc. So you
have to weigh both the risks and the benefits.

Overall, from their marketing, their portfolio looks very similar to
Infoblox (which we use). Even down to the fact that they're positioning
themselves as a security hub. You might want to survey a number of
products, since there seems to be some convergence on this space. The
intersection between DNS/DHCP management solutions, and infosec, is not
just a niche any more.

                 - Kevin