Debian/Ubuntu: Why was the service renamed from bind9 to named?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 15 07:05:02 UTC 2020

Am 15.04.20 um 08:56 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 15.04.20 um 08:51 schrieb Klaus Darilion:
>> Hello!
>>
>> What is the rationale of:
>>
>> bind9 (1:9.13.6-1) experimental; urgency=medium
>>   * Rename the init scripts to named to match the name of the daemon
>>

>> Since years, Debian and Ubuntu User, and plenty of scripts and automation software (Puppet ...), know that the service is called "bind9". I think it is very confusing and will cause lots of headaches once Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 11 is released.
>>
>> So I really do not understand this renaming.
>>
>> The software is "Bind 9". The package is "bind9". The service for long time was "bind9". The config is in /etc/bind. Only the binary is named. So it would have made more sense to rename the binary. (actually the binary is not so important for end users: they install the package and manage the service and usually do not have to worry about the name of the binary).
>>
>> It would be great if you undo this change before release of 18.04
>
> you confuse the upstream project with your distribution
>
> bind9 was completly wrong in the debian world as well as apache2 for
> httpd, on sane distributions it's "httpt" and "named" all the years
> beause it's nonsense to throw vesions in service names

BTW in case Debian/Ubuntu when they do RTFM it wouldn't be an issue at all

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl status sddm
● sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service.d

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl status display-manager.service
● sddm.service - Simple Desktop Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service.d
           └─security.conf, start-before.conf

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service
[Unit]
Description=Simple Desktop Display Manager
Conflicts=getty at tty1.service
After=getty at tty1.service systemd-logind.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/sddm