ipv6, was: Re: Question About Recursion ...

Chuck Aurora ca at nodns4.us
Sat Apr 18 01:43:19 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-17 11:40, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 4/17/20 10:17 AM, julien soula wrote:

>>> ;; Query time: 0 msec
>>> ;; SERVER: ::1#53(::1)
>>> ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 17 09:53:51 CDT 2020
>>> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 83
>>>
>>> Does the SERVER line indicate it's trying to get to the local
>>> instance via IPV6 or is this just standard notation?  (This is
>>> an IPV4 only environment).
>>
>> "::1" is locahost in IPv6. It is not the same as 127.0.0.1 . A least,
>> you should add this IP to trustedhosts to check if it works.
>
> Aha!  That was it.  What is curious to me is that bind uses this even
> in the absence of any IPV6 in the environment.
>
> Problem solved.  Thanks all!

What "absence" is this?  You showed us that dig connected to ::1#53,
yes,
via ipv6.  Not having external ipv6 routing is not the same as absence
of
ipv6.  Your system DOES have ipv6 enabled.

As others have pointed out, you either need to put ::1 in your ACL, or
make a resolv.conf with "nameserver 127.0.0.1".  Personally, I always
disable the ipv6 module in the OS kernel if there is no connectivity.
And Bob (I think it was) mentioned "named -4".

Since ipv6 is the future, it's generally the default protocol in many
OSs when it is enabled.  That's why I suggest disabling it in your
kernel, to avoid this and many other problems; not just with dig &
named, but with other software as well.