How Zone Files Are Read

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Wed Dec 16 16:37:28 UTC 2020

I ran into a situation yesterday which got me pondering something about bind.

In this case, a single line in a zone file was bad.  The devops automation
had inserted a space in the hostname field of a PTR record.

What was interesting was that - at startup - bind absolutely refused
to load the zone file at all.  I would have expected it to complain
about the bad record and ignore it, but load the rest of the
good records.

Can someone please explain the rationale or logic for this?  Not complaining,
just trying to understand for future reference.

TIA,
Tim